Tuesday, November 4, 2008

intrepid ibex, hp, wi-fi learn to make nice


Ubuntu upgrades usually represent several steps fowards, but they can also take one or two back, at least temporarily.

The process of upgrading to Intrepid Ibex started flawlessly, as expected. I was even happily surprised to see that my AZERTY keyboard no longer switched to QWERTY on the login screen (which it had started doing ever since I'd attempted to hook up a projector. Talk about bizarre side-effects!). But after that high, came a low: I couldn't connect to my wi-fi. In fact, the network card wasn't even being recognised.

Some searching brought me the answer:
Add folowing [sic] lines to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

blacklist ssb

blacklist b43
Since I have a HP nw9440 and he or she has a 6515b, I guess the advice applies to many models. What does it mean? I have no idea, but it works!

I'll just add that you'll need to open the file with administrative privileges, for example with:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

No comments:

Post a Comment